Drum Centrifuge Model Test for Geotechnical Problems
A centrifuge model test with a 1/N scaled model is performed under a centrifuge acceleration of N times of earth gravity (1 G), so that the same self-weight stress of actual structures can be applied to the prototype. A long extension of the experimental area is one advantage of this test system. It is also possible to perform flume experiments simultaneously modeling the water area and ground/structural parts.
- Reproduces the same stress and strain as in the prototype in small-scale experiments, making it possible to reduce the cost and time required for experiments.
- Adoption of a coaxial double shaft system makes it possible to exchange of various types of devices, such as ground preparation device, loading device, etc. while rotating the container, reproducing multi-stage construction processes.
- Because the water area and ground/structural parts are modeled simultaneously, it is possible to conduct experiments considering soil-water-structure interaction.
- Wave experiments and tsunami experiments are possible by using the proper wave generator.
- Detailed photography of the total experimental area is possible by installing multiple high speed cameras.